corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 14:39:46 +1000

In my opinion, little can be made of the EN EMOI in Gal 1:16 to advance the
argument of J. Hurd that Paul refers only to a "subjective experience" and
that he "disavows any flesh and blood resurrection body". 'To me' is a
perfectly appropriate English translation given that EN with the dative EMOI
may be used as little more than an emphasized version of EMOI on its own.
The context of a revelation of something (to another) also suggests this
translation. Of course, this does not settle the question of the nature of
the Christ's resurrection (in Paul's thought) either way.
On that point, I would have thought it fairly clear that Paul understood
Christ's resurrection as involving a level of 'physicality'. By this, I mean
that Paul saw a continuity between the body that was crucified and that
which was raised by God. Is this in disupute by J. Hurd? If so, I would be
interested to pursue this line of thought.
John Dickson
Macquarie University
Ancient History Department
College of Humanities