corpus-paul - Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stevan Davies" <miser17 AT epix.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's conversion & Gal. 1:16
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 18:39:50 -0500

> From: "John Dickson"
> In my opinion, little can be made of the EN EMOI in Gal 1:16 to advance the
> argument of J. Hurd that Paul refers only to a "subjective experience" and
> that he "disavows any flesh and blood resurrection body". 'To me' is a
> perfectly appropriate English translation given that EN with the dative EMOI
> may be used as little more than an emphasized version of EMOI on its own.
> The context of a revelation of something (to another) also suggests this
> translation.

Just a few sentences later on Paul speaks of Christ who lives in him
EN EMOI in Gal 2:20. I'm not sure on what grounds one could possibly
assert that Paul had an "objective experience." If indeed he had a
"subjective" experience it seems to follow that he assumed that
all others who experienced Christ also had a subjective experience...
peter, the twelve, james, 500+.

> Of course, this does not settle the question of the nature of
> the Christ's resurrection (in Paul's thought) either way.

If he is raised insofar as he is revealed in people, it does rather
settle the question of the nature of Christ's resurrection in Paul's
thought. It's not a resurrection the essence of which is to be
visible to the eye.

> On that point, I would have thought it fairly clear that Paul understood
> Christ's resurrection as involving a level of 'physicality'. By this, I mean
> that Paul saw a continuity between the body that was crucified and that
> which was raised by God. Is this in disupute by J. Hurd? If so, I would be
> interested to pursue this line of thought.

It is an interesting one. Perhaps Christ was raised in a "new
spiritual body" as Christians will be... or perhaps he is raised
insofar as he is in Christians. I assume that the latter is the
equivalent of the spirit of Christ being in Christians and this we
certainly know was significant to Paul.

Could you be more clear about "a level of 'physicality'" and "a
continuity"? Are you speaking of "a new spiritual body" resurrection?

Steve Davies
College Misericordia