corpus-paul - Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 21:35:57 +0100

> Chris
[snip]
> >IMHO if we understood Pauls obsession with the resurrection, we would be
> >closer to understanding Paul
>
> Ron
> Do I correctly perceive an implication that Paul conceived Jesus'
> resurrection as physical? If so, what of his detailed distinction
between
> different types of flesh for the purpose of distinguishing the sWma
YCikon
> and sWma pneumatikon (1 Cor 15.35ff.; cf. 2 Baruch 50-51), culminating in
> the assertion that sarx kai {h}aima basileian Qeou klhronomhsai ou
dunatai
> (v. 50)?

Chris
You are certainly correct in detecting such an implication. I am not a
greek scholar so I hope that you or others will enlighten me on Pauls
distinction between different types of flesh you cite in the second part of
your reply.

Since you quote Corinthians, I will try to answer my own question. Paul
faced a number of challenges in Corinth. The existing beliefs of the
'spirit-people', competition with the Judaizers, and the arrival of
Appolos. The spirit-people found the idea of a crucified savior repugnant
preferring to think in terms of the "Lord of Glory". For Paul, only a being
of flesh and blood could demonstrate the possibility of a restored
humanity, which is why he consistently insisted that Jesus died in a
particularly horrible way.

It is in the hope of understanding better exactly what Paul thought, and
why, that I joined this list.

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)