corpus-paul - Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 19:53:49 +0100

> {Jim}
[snip] For Jesus it is by works- whereas for Paul it
> is faith.... hmmmmm.... no wonder the Church has argued about these two
> ways of salvation for so long...
>
> {Bill}
> This distinction is imaginary. Jesus taught justification by faith:

Chris:
Where? Justification by faith means belief in the bodily resurrection.
Jesus's taught before the crucifixion.
(Of course you could go down the thread followed on other lists and argue
that He survived the crucifixion so He could have taught the inner group
after Easter, but He would have hardly have taught justification by faith
in the Pauline sense because in that case there would not have been any
resurrection!)

[quotes snipped]
Bill:
> >In the Gospels, Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, I am
the
> >Bread of Life, the Door, the Shepherd, the Resurrection, the Light of
the
> >World."
>
> {Jim}
> actually you would have a difficult time demonstrating that Jesus said
any
> of these things.
>
> {Bill}
> Do you reject the veracity and authority of the Gospel of John??

Chris
What are the likely dates of John (as we now have it) and the parallel
statements attributed to Paul?
Is there not a possibility that John may have been altered and/or
influenced by Paul?

[remainder of post snipped]

Best wishes to you both

Chris

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)