corpus-paul - Re: Goodbye Bill

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Goodbye Bill
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 20:33:36 +0100

> {Bill}
> I'm going to abandon this list now because the underlying assumptions of
> most of the discussions on this list are so humanistic that it does not
> promote understanding. If we see Paul as "growing his theology" by
> "ad-libbing" instead of having received it by revelation from God, we
will
> neither understand, nor be benefited. At least, I have no interest in
such
> mental exercises. I believe that Paul was an apostle of Jesus Christ and
> wrote the Word of God:

Chris:
Leaving so soon? I'm truly sorry to see you go. IMHO this list benefits
from opinions ranging from Swedenborg to literalists, and the belief
expressed in your last sentence is well within this spectrum.

I have to admit you did have me scurrying back to the list notes to check
on the focus. I see that postings intended to advance modern sectarian
agendas are completely inappropriate. I can hardly accuse you of advancing
a *modern* agenda by opining that Paul wrote the word of God. ;-)

I hope those who suggest Paul may not posses such authority will not be so
accused.

Few would disagree that Paul was a remarkable and complex person without
whom Christianity as we now understand it would not exist. If you go, I
hope someone else with your convictions will contribute in your stead.

Farewell, and as Ray Allen used to say, "may your God go with you!"

Chris

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)

  • Re: Goodbye Bill, Chris Cutler, 04/02/1999