corpus-paul - RE: Harmony of Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Harmony of Paul's teaching
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 08:23:46 -0600

{Jake}
> Conventionally put, "Was the Gospel *of* Jesus supplanted by Paul's Gospel
*about* Jesus?"

{Bill}
"Supplanted" is not an appropriate description of the relationship.

In the Gospels, Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, I am the
Bread of Life, the Door, the Shepherd, the Resurrection, the Light of the
World."

In Paul we have "He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, the Bread of Life,
the Door, the Shepherd..."

In Paul, however, the principle of justification by faith, which is the
essence of the Gospel, is revealed in greater clarity than was revealed in
the prophets or the Gospels, and we are told that God chose to reveal this
through Paul:

Galatians 1:
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is
not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the
revelation of Jesus Christ.

See also 1 Cor 9:17, 2 Cor 5:16-20, 1 Tim 1:11, Titus 1:3 and 1 Cor 3:9-11
for references to the dispensation of the Gospel given to Paul.

Also we need to be clear that the Gospels are the account of how the NT was
implemented but the writings of Paul occur in the context of the fledgling
Church. Christ's atoning death has been accomplished, he has risen and
ascended to the Father and the Spirit and apostles given. Paul is writing to
an NT church - Jews and gentiles. It is a whole new day.

Bill Ross