corpus-paul - RE: Harmony of Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Harmony of Paul's teaching
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:37:20 -0500

At 08:23 AM 4/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>{Jake}
>> Conventionally put, "Was the Gospel *of* Jesus supplanted by Paul's Gospel
>*about* Jesus?"

Yes, it was. Or, in the terms of one famous exegete--- "the proclaimer
became the proclaimed". The message of Jesus and the message of Paul are
utterly different- Jesus speaks of God, and Paul speaks of Jesus. This in
itself is a radical break with the teaching of Jesus. Of course there are
many who will suppose that Paul and Jesus are talking about the same thing;
but a careful reading of both will make clear that they are not. It is for
no small reason that Paul is seen as the founder of Christianity- whereas
Jesus intended to begin no movement outside of Judaism at all.

>{Bill}
>"Supplanted" is not an appropriate description of the relationship.

It is because Christians today are far more "Paulinists" than they are
"Jesusites". For example- think of the matter of "justification". In
Jesus, justification comes about by repentence and behavior. For Paul it
occurs when one "believes". For Jesus it is by works- whereas for Paul it
is faith.... hmmmmm.... no wonder the Church has argued about these two
ways of salvation for so long...

>In the Gospels, Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, I am the
>Bread of Life, the Door, the Shepherd, the Resurrection, the Light of the
>World."

actually you would have a difficult time demonstrating that Jesus said any
of these things.

>In Paul we have "He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, the Bread of Life,
>the Door, the Shepherd..."

I would like to know precisely where we have this in Paul........ I have
never seen it.

>In Paul, however, the principle of justification by faith, which is the
>essence of the Gospel, is revealed in greater clarity than was revealed in
>the prophets or the Gospels, and we are told that God chose to reveal this
>through Paul:

Yup- you are right here- because Justification by Faith doesnt appear in the
Gospels. Anywhere.

[snipped- available to all in some Bible or other]

>Also we need to be clear that the Gospels are the account of how the NT was
>implemented

I have no idea what you mean by this. How are the Gospels the account of
how the NT was implemented??? There was no NT until the 4th century.

>but the writings of Paul occur in the context of the fledgling
>Church. Christ's atoning death has been accomplished, he has risen and
>ascended to the Father and the Spirit and apostles given. Paul is writing to
>an NT church - Jews and gentiles. It is a whole new day.

Indeed it is. The proclaimer has become the proclaimed at the hand of Paul.

Best,
Good Friday, Happy Easter,
and Happy Passover to all......

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest AT highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest