corpus-paul - Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ronald Troxel <rltroxel AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Harmony of Paul's teaching
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:34:45 -0600

Chris
>Just what did Paul's followers have to believe in? It would appear from
>trials of early Xtians the defining belief was in the bodily resurrection,
>not that Jesus was the Son of God, and still less any demonstration that
>they had understood the teachings of the Master.
>
>IMHO if we understood Pauls obsession with the resurrection, we would be
>closer to understanding Paul

Ron
Do I correctly perceive an implication that Paul conceived Jesus'
resurrection as physical? If so, what of his detailed distinction between
different types of flesh for the purpose of distinguishing the sWma YCikon
and sWma pneumatikon (1 Cor 15.35ff.; cf. 2 Baruch 50-51), culminating in
the assertion that sarx kai {h}aima basileian Qeou klhronomhsai ou dunatai
(v. 50)?

Ron Troxel

Ronald L. Troxel, Ph.D.
Department of Hebrew and Semitic Studies
1340 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706