community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] BBC archives to be released question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • To: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] BBC archives to be released question
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:06:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tom: it looks like we just scrutiny details. I do remember they at CC
state it openly among common features for *all* of their licenses:
copyright is retained. Their idea, if I understand it correctly, is: while
copyright is here, you (right holder) may relinquish some restrictions you
are entitled to impose on your "intellectual property".

So CC works until copyright works. This is not *my* conclusion, Tom. This
is Lessig's directly promoted understanding. Generally speaking, Lessig
has been copyright proponent, "piracy fighter" and so forth all along. He
is against RIAA like "abuses", as far as I remember and understand his
position. He developed few compromises, which are better than copyright,
but no more than that.

I would like him to succeed, to get widely accepted, so that it will
become clear that CC does not work really well, because *no restrictions
put on a work of art may serve any reasonable purpose and least of all -
to promote progress...".

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, tom poe wrote:

> Hi, Anatoly: One of the choices for license is the public domain. Use
> the CC site to affirm you want your work to reside in our Precious
> Public Domain. The other standard choices are restrictions that can be
> perceived as "reasonable" compared to our automatic full copyright law.
>
> Remember, the work of Bruce Lehman, and the RIAA/MPAA, and all the
> others are directed at complete elimination of our precious Public
> Domain. The Creative Commons site represents an option that is easy for
> people to grasp. You have an option, authoright, which is available to
> those who want to use it. At some point, people will look to it, and
> find it easy to grasp.
>
> Open Studios is dedicated to replenishing our precious Public Domain.
> Our mission statement does not say we're dedicated to using Creative
> Commons licenses. We do, though, require all community-based recording
> studios that want to work with us, encourage all users to license their
> works with the Creative Commons Project. If they do that, then, it
> becomes easier to encourage them to choose the public domain license.
>
> What's interesting about this strategy is that successful Digital Age
> business models are forced by the architecture of the Internet to
> include free download of songs, books, art, etc., and to then decide to
> purchase the "good, deluxe" stuff directly from the creator. Any other
> business model will fail over time. Trust me on that. :)
>
> So, whether authoright, or CC, the end result is, the big media loses,
> and we win.
> Thanks, Tom

Well, I'd like to borrow some of your enthusiasm. I am sure, freedom to
create and disseminate arts will prevail some time, due to the nature of
the arts and culture, in general terms. OTOH, I have a feeling that this
will cost a lot of suffering, due to complete misunderstanding of the
subject by the great majority of the general public.

There is nothing to compare with the issue of restrictions put on culture
in the history of mankind. In all other cases of great social moves,
revolutions, revolts, etc. there have always been suffering groups who
managed to articulate their wishes. We do not have it here. The most
sensitive to the issue folks, artists, as a matter of rule, support
copyrights. The suffering groups here: all people, including media moguls,
because they are people as well. But those, who are effectively deprived
from access to culture cannot know they are... And so it goes. That is, I
need to borrow some of your enthusiasm, just to keep too big picture away
from my sight.

Anatoly Volynets
http://www.total-knowledge.com