community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] BBC archives to be released question

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Anatoly Volynets <av AT total-knowledge.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] BBC archives to be released question
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:06:09 -0000

Hi, Anatoly: One of the choices for license is the public domain. Use
the CC site to affirm you want your work to reside in our Precious
Public Domain. The other standard choices are restrictions that can be
perceived as "reasonable" compared to our automatic full copyright law.

Remember, the work of Bruce Lehman, and the RIAA/MPAA, and all the
others are directed at complete elimination of our precious Public
Domain. The Creative Commons site represents an option that is easy for
people to grasp. You have an option, authoright, which is available to
those who want to use it. At some point, people will look to it, and
find it easy to grasp.

Open Studios is dedicated to replenishing our precious Public Domain.
Our mission statement does not say we're dedicated to using Creative
Commons licenses. We do, though, require all community-based recording
studios that want to work with us, encourage all users to license their
works with the Creative Commons Project. If they do that, then, it
becomes easier to encourage them to choose the public domain license.

What's interesting about this strategy is that successful Digital Age
business models are forced by the architecture of the Internet to
include free download of songs, books, art, etc., and to then decide to
purchase the "good, deluxe" stuff directly from the creator. Any other
business model will fail over time. Trust me on that. :)

So, whether authoright, or CC, the end result is, the big media loses,
and we win.
Thanks, Tom