ch-scene - Re: No Hard Feelings

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mump <gilbertgeorgeneal AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: No Hard Feelings
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:16:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 20, 3:04=A0pm, hepst... AT gmail.com (James Hepler) wrote:
> I see what you're saying, but I still wonder about market value. Your
> campaign places the value of $25 on a physical copy of a cd and the donor=
> name in the liner notes while at the same time placing a value of $0 on t=
he
> content itself. My logical side concludes that the value is all placed on=
> few ouces of plastic (which the donor can buy for very cheap and allows t=
he
> person to make their own cd) and some artwork.
>
> iwtdi raised capital before our last record came out by offering a
> subscription package. Our next two records on cd or vinyl, a cd of
> unreleased songs, and a bunch of goodies like stickers and homemade totes=
,
> copies of our 7", etc, all for $30. It was a good way to get a quick cash
> infusion while avoiding the risks that accompany kickstarter campaigns. I=
> allows our fans, friends, and family to feel a part of something "bigger"
> without making us feel like we're taking advantage of anyone. Plus, it
> doesn't all collapse if you don't hit your fundraising mark.
>
> I've also considered a dividend/profit sharing model that would also help=
> band raise capital, spreading the financial risk of a project evenly amon=
g a
> group of "investors" based on what they want to contribute to the cause. =
> believe midtown dickens tried such a thing. I'm afraid to try something l=
ike
> that, if only because you dont want to let down your biggest supporters.

I hear you James. But don't forget that your band's following, cachet
and the like dwarf my own by a considerable margin, and for good
reason. So the value of my tangible, released product is small. I am
counting on the support of the folks back home who aren't as savvy as
the folks you probably encounter every weekend. Having said that,
perhaps I could modify my approach in that regard. Probably a good
idea. Thanks.