ch-scene - Re: No Hard Feelings

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No Hard Feelings
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:49:32 -0400

Yep. In more formalized investment environments, the folks who invest
upfront expect to get an additional return above and beyond what the random
shmoes who come along later will get. Kickstarter actually has a blog post
somewhere aimed at potential project starters which touches on this, but
it's clearly not required reading, inasmuch as way too many Kickstarter
projects seem to either go the full-charity route, or at the very least seem
to place a value on intangibles that's probably way too high in the context
of the local-music economy.

I especially like the ones where, say, small-time local bands who'd be lucky
to draw 30 people at the Cave put something like "personal concert at your
house!" way up at the top of the prize list.

I guess I should write a New Yorker Shouts & Murmurs piece wherein the
premium for a $3.00 donation is "I will make and serve you a cup of coffee"
and for $25 "I will personally take your order and deliver food and
beverages of your choice* to your table. (*standard menu items only,
please)"