ch-scene - Re: Walmart has a great selection, though.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: andy fekete <andy.fekete AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Walmart has a great selection, though.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:43:25 -0400

Thanks David. That certainly clears that up.

Here's the David Byrne piece on the future of music from Wired; it's
quite extensive:
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne

The idea that the whole model for the record label deal has inverted
from what it used to be is pretty profound. In the past, labels
expected losses when an act went on tour; it was mainly done to
support the sale of a new release. Now, especially for big acts, it's
often the other way around: it is the tour that is the profit
center...

-A