ch-scene - Re: sharing the space

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryon Settle <ployntabs AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: sharing the space
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:42:38 -0500

If they won't respond to a civil request then what happens next? Do we start a campaign to rip all of their posters down and throw them in the street? Maybe The Poster Guys could mark their posters so we don't take their posters down. Maybe a campaign to let local advertisers know that this company's efforts will no longer be tolerated.

-bryon

clarqoline AT gmail.com wrote:
If you're reading this you probably have enough experience and good
sense to follow basic rules of etiquette and protocol when it comes to
the way you post flyers and posters for events - don't post over
things that haven't happened yet, don't post too many in on one kiosk,
pole, etc., don't put huge posters in spots where they will monopolize
the space available, etc. Most of the folks involved in the music
community in this area are very courteous and have been that way as
long as I've lived here, but lately there have been groups in the
wider community coming along and flyering with no regard for anyone
else's stuff. It's bad enough lately that when there is a phone
number I've been calling these people and politely telling them they
are out of line and that this brings on a lot of ill will from the
music and art community at large, which it certainly does.
I've found that a lot of the time it is a result of one of a
couple things. The first is the band or group with upcoming event
that gives flyers to a bunch of their friends to put up and they are
excited and they get overzealous and go nuts with the staple gun.
This is understandable and doesn't happen very often and when it does
the band or group is usually bummed that their friends are postering
over other peoples stuff and it is easily remedied. The second is
the group that pays a company or uses interns or volunteers to post
the flyers (obviously I'm not talking about the famous "The Poster
Guys" here, they're awesome). A lot of the time they just want to
get it done as fast as possible so you'll find these flyers posted
smack dab in the middle of a kiosk over top of whatever is there.
These folks will often overdo it with the number on a kiosk as well,
so you'll sometimes see eight or ten huge highlighter-pen-yellow
posters for "Jobs to Save the Environment" on one kiosk side. By
far, the people that do "Save the Environment" and did "Help Elect
Obama" and sometimes "Jobs for Justice" are the worst. I don't
think the companies who hire them live in town, they must not have any
idea how horrible those people are. I have to think Mr.Obama or
Move.On.org would be upset if they knew this was going on. They're
a pollution of the visual environment most everywhere you go in Chapel
Hill and Carrboro. I actually went in person to their office above
CD Alley to try to talk sense to them and they were total assholes,
completely dismissive. They told me they've found they make the
most money fundraising by putting up the posters in exactly the manner
they do it, and they made it clear they would not consider posting
them in a way that was considerate of others and shared the space.
The lady actually snickered at me, like she got off on the idea that
they would continue to dominate the public space, tough shit
kid!
I'm obviously fired up about this. I'm usually a pretty easy going
guy, but this really gets my goat. When I was downtown today and
saw the nice silkscreened poster for the Trekky Records MS benefit
covered over by some dumb shit posted in a careless way it just set me
off. I'd love to hear any ideas you might have.