ch-scene - Re: End of Another Era - Schoolkids Records to close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: End of Another Era - Schoolkids Records to close
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:01:16 -0800 (PST)

>>>But I think it's interesting that S'kids has had this rep for
>>>standoffishness going all the way back to '91 or probably even well
>>>earlier

Yes,it goes back even further. I moved to Chapel Hill in '87 and felt
that way back then, but eventually befriended the people at the store
once I became MD at XYC (even the renown Nasty Little Chick, who also
became a housemate!) In fact, I worked at Poindexter in Durham in the
late '80s and people used to drive over from Chapel Hill because they
hated going into Schoolkids.

Still, it's sad to see them go - there are specific albums I can
remember picking up at the store, Strangeways Here We Come, Surfer
Rosa and All by The Descendents pop into my head (the latter because I
was in my car, heard the song 'Cameage' on WXYC and detoured to the
store to buy the album pronto - still one of my favorite songs) One
specifically special purchase, on xyc's dime, was the first solo album
by Chris Knox (also of Tall Dwarfs) who i would later sign during my
brief A&R stint (and who has become a lifelong friend.)

With all that said, I'm not unconvinced that Schoolkids could have
potentially survived if it moved into a cheaper part of town or
Carrboro. It's interesting that Blend and Schoolkids are closing at
the same time because it's somewhat indicates that college kids aren't
really digesting music like they once were, at least not at a
financial level to support the premium you pay to be on that end of
Franklin St.

As much as I love CD Alley, maybe this will give them a boost to move
into a bigger location. I love their selection, but it's often so
claustrophobic inside that's it's difficult to browse. Then again,
I'm sure the rent is cheap where they're at...although parking is
possibly more of a hassle that Schoolkids (cos at least, you did have
the pay lots if you really wanted to stop in.)

glenn