ch-scene - Re: This Week's Indy

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: This Week's Indy
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:39:20 -0500

My problem with it is it's lazy. It's one thing to have a good, substantive, well written article, that happens to say something negative about a band. Having a section just for snarky comments is juvenile and lazy. We already have Pitchfork for that.

chris

David Bartholomew wrote:
I'm going to get ripped for this...but I think the Indy should be allowed to
snark a show, even before it happens. I think that it is unlikely to really
discourage attendance, but the role of Indy's music section isn't really to
promote shows. It is to provide insight and interesting takes. Snark happens
to be more interesting and you can't say the review was not earnest. It is
one thing to disagree with that insight and those takes and another to say
the section has no place being in the paper. Even if it hurts local artists
and clubs...we don't want our weekly independent (heh) to hold back takes
because of hurting the businesses involved. Do we?

Just so happens I heard about the review, went to see the show, and agreed
with just about everything in the review. (Soft Company were rad)

Eh Whatever is a pretty lame name for the section, but maybe we should take
a cue and not be so fussed.