ch-scene - Re: This Week's Indy

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: This Week's Indy
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:58:38 -0500

You know, a negative review is one thing. But a negative *preview*? Wtf? Hey guys, why don't you try actually attending these shows and then writing a *review* based on what you actually saw and heard that night? I know, it's work, but then again, it's your fucking job. I don't really see the 'Eh, Whatever' section in it's current state as anything other than a strokefest for it's authors. You can do better than that.

chris

James Hepler wrote:
My opinions on this subject are fairly well published
at this point, but one side of this that I hadn't
noticed before is that essentially telling people not
to go to a show puts those bands in bad moods. I
heard from three different people that one of the
bands were a bunch of jerks that night. And while
maybe their band sucked, and maybe they're always
assholes, traveling to a town to find the local press
slamming you, well, it doesn't make fior the funnest
evening for anyone.

While we give the indy folks a hard time here about
it, and while they take it well, the people the
writers don't have to worry about being confronted by
are the bands who get dissed. It's the other
representatives of the music community, the club
owners and the bands who have to bear the brunt of the
frustration they feel. Fans too.