ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: musicscribe AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:49:53 -0000

> Heh. "Get a *real* job!" That's what I'm gonna say anytime one of my
> musician friends, like Hepler, starts bitching about how his backstage
> martinis aren't cold enough.

If someone doesn't like their job, change it, don't complain about how
difficult it is.

> In case it hasn't been made clear by the other 35 posts in this thread,
> we're not having that conversation.

"I just feel like it's a lot harder to make music than
it is to listen to it. It's very hard to go on tour.
Booking shows, paying for gas, eating, lodging,
playing in front of crowds ranging from 4 to 400. And
I think that the least that the local press can do is
be indifferent."

I guess you were just skimming that part as well...

> Which they both have every right to do, of course, but that doesn't mean
> the other fans have to sit back & just enjoy it.

Wow, are you suggesting there's freedom of choice. Wow. Would've never
guessed.

Please never enjoy something you don't enjoy. Great advice.

> 1) I'm pretty sure you writers make a living entertaining others. Get
> used to it.

? I am sorry that I didn't entertain you. Breaks me up at night.

> 2) A fairly sizeable majority of the musicians who make stops at all the
> clubs in the Triangle smaller than the Cradle *do* work at the bakery.
> This thing we call "tour" is what normal people call "unpaid vacation."

are we back on the "how hard musicians have it" ? Sure beats coal-
mining, or do people do that when they're not touring too?

> 3) Not even gonna touch the writers' workshop thing.

Thanks, you mighta hurt me....

> Yet, interestingly enough, it would appear that none of the other folks
> posting in this thread found any of these blurbs entertaining or
> amusing. Maybe you're not trying hard enough.

I agree. I'm worried, judging from this representative sample.....
fortunately I get paid whether it's good or not.

> > freak-f**kers that Grayson likes so much, sometimes I think it's
> > worthwhile to suggest the Emperor's New wardrobe blows.
>
> Sure, and I wouldn't have a problem with that, but thus far I haven't
> seen you taking on the Emperor. I'm not even sure who the Emperor would
> be

Well, I suppose it'd be a matter of opinion, Grady. But I'm sure glad
you've surveyed our entire 3-wk output....

> Hee, you got us again! Let us know when your 30,000-word treatise, on
> how our nation is being destroyed by indie-rock, is due to come out in
> Harper's.

I wouldn't know how to respond to that, but it sure is some
entertaining snark!!

> In the meantime, also let us know when y'all modify that section into a
> discussion on "what constitutes good music." I'd be happy to read
> something like that. You might want to change the name of the section,
> though.

So Funny! You should be a writer....

> Here's a suggestion: rejigger the section such that you actually *do*
> steer people to better shows. There is enough of a range of shows around
> here every week that you could literally end every one of your savagely
> funny blurbs with a sentence like "don't waste your time on the Ladybug
> Transistor; go check out Schooner at the Cradle instead." OK, well, I
> dunno whom you'd direct the 80s-music fans to as an alternative, but I'm
> sure you could figure that out.

I'm sorry, I just work here....

> And if not, then dammit, get a *real* job!

I hope to when I'm fully grown like you Grady.

I would think this would be self-evident, but perhaps a refresher is
needed -- I'm merely offering a humble opinion. Please disregard it as
you will.