ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: musicscribe AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:14:12 -0000

I was saying that it's hard enough and personal enough
> that it should be appreciated, because if it wasn't
> for the people making the music, there would be no
> need for the critic, not that anyone is arguing that
> there's a great need for that position in the first
> place.It would be nice though for the critic to
> realize that his job depends on having people to
> critique. But I suppose the garbage collector has a
> love/hate relationship with refuse as well.

Fortunately like garbarge, there is no shortage of musicians. Perhaps
that's because sometimes musicians think they're special because they
dedicate themselves to something. And by dint of the perspiration on
their brow, they should be given respect.

Is the hard work and sacrifice put into music any different than the
sacrifices that others make? When does how hard someone works become
more important than whether they're any good at it? And doesn't the
fact that someone puts themselves on stage mean that they're open to
criticism? I've written poetry but I feel no need to share it. Why
should I automatically grant respect to a musician? Doctors and
lawyers and firemen and others make plenty of sacrifices as well. At
some level, isn't all entertainment a little bit frivolous, and
wouldn't we all be better off if more people worked at the firehouse,
curing cancer, or building homes?

But we can do what we want, and define for ourselves what's really
important, and some people will make great music. And some people will
waste our time.

> If it weren't hard, it wouldn't be worthwhile. So
> what makes the indy critic's job worthwhile? The
> Anthony Michael Hall-esque pat on the back they give
> themselves after coming up with just the right way to
> say, "Don't bother seeing this band play"?

Well, writing isn't any more important than music. We're both lousy
punters. But I wonder how hard it is to get paid for music versus to
get paid for music writing?

> Where in that do you derive, "If you don't make it how
> can you appreciate how hard it is to do? If you can't
> do it how can you criticize someone who does."

If you recall my comment was I get in this kind of conversation with
musicians, which I then use quotes. At no point did I attribute those
remarks to you. I think that it refers back to the larger issue,
apparently you don't see it that way.

> I think it's funny that you talk about thin skin and
> bruised egos while you lash out at strawmen after
> someone DARES critique what you do.

Now this is funny. I came in and offered my opinion on why this isn't
a bad thing, and took a little shot at Grady, which was actually true
-- I'm sorry it didn't entertain him. But it isn't going to keep me
up, nor should criticism keep any creative person from doing what they
do. Big deal, someone doesn't like it. whatever.

> If you'd like clarification, I'll provide it. What
> I'm saying is that by virtue of the fact that there
> are people who choose making music OVER going to
> school, people who are willing to deliver pizzas so
> that work won't get in the way of their craft, there
> should be some level of respect. Even if what they're
> making doesn't impress or please you.

Well, I disagree. No one forces a musician to pursue what they do, and
being passionate about something doesn't earn respect. Why should they
get special treatment? Paul Wolfowitz seems pretty passionate and he's
a huge tool. Sacrifice doesn't equate with respect. Maybe some of
these people SHOULD go to school, but they're too deluded to realize
it.

> You can criticize their music all you want. But
> telling people to steer clear of their shows, I don't
> see how that serves any positive purpose other than to
> feed a writer's ego.\

How does it feed my ego? My pocket, yes, because there is a section,
and I can sell work there. I think it's a valid thing, and I say so.
Just because I think some musicians suck does not ergo mean I don't
like musicians. That's a fallacy.

And frankly, all I can think
> when I see that happening is, "Oh someone didn't get
> on the guest list for that show".

yeah, it's soooooooooo hard to get on the guest list. I'm dying to go
see the Beach boys and foreigner. Talk about strawmen.

> > I agree. I'm worried, judging from this
> > representative sample.....
> > fortunately I get paid whether it's good or not.
>
> See? You already have it better tham musicians do.

Just a guess, James, but I'll bet that every musician who recieved a
derogatory comment got paid whether or not they turned in a good show.
In fact, just by walking on stage, they made money, because these
artists (at least any of the ones I wrote about) have guarantees. So
don't cry to hard for them.

> Is this part of why you seem to hate them so much?

see a therapist. You've got a projection problem.