ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:04:19 -0700

>I've always found the "if you don't have anything nice
to say, don't say anything" kid gloves approach in indie (not
"Indy")
media to be demeaning. If you put your work out there long enough,
you're gonna collect some shit reviews,

Correct. I do believe 'reviews' should be critical but we're talking
previews, which again can include a critique, but if the overall tone
is negative, then why bother. Better yet, if the Indy doesn't 't like
an act, then send a writer to review the show and write something
negative that is somewhat less subjective. Heck, the band might even
see this as constructive criticism instead of pure spite.

>if there's one thing I've learned first-hand it's that even
the most ecstatic press DOES NOT automatically generate foot traffic
in the general reading public

Now, I couldn't agree more. I've always said that Pitchfork and other
national outlets affect turnout more than any local press or radio
unfortunately. And, in honesty, both of the shows here that got 'Eh
Whatever'ed' did what I thought they would attendance-wise (ie: none
of the 100 or so ticket holders for Cary Brothers asked for a refund!)

But I also agree with Grayson that these previews are really aimed at
the fence sitters, whether it be should I go to this show or that show
OR what should I do to tonight in general. I don't think anyone who
was planning to attend Ladybug Transistor changed their mind after
reading that.

With that said, I still think it works better in the long-term for a
local paper or radio station to be associated with positive stuff.
Just like it doesn't make sense for the local radio stations to play
bands they do NOT like, I don't think it makes sense for the local
weekly to preview shows it doesn't like.

For example (and I'm dating myself here), I still remember hearing
'Caribou' by this new act, The Pixies, on WXYC and buying 'Come On
Pilgrim' later that day or reading an article about The Replacements
in Rolling Stone and deciding to buy their new album 'Let it Be."
These records changed my life, and i still remember the outlet that
introduced me to them. To me, that makes me appreciate these outlets
even more because they added something positive to my life (and twenty
years later I still listen to WXYC and I still subscribe to Rolling
Stone!)

I have no reason to remember what stations or publications told me
something wasn't good...glenn