ch-scene - Re: Student-Local Music Void: What to do?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Student-Local Music Void: What to do?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:26:47 -0400

Well crap, if you've already got all those student orgs signed up & involved, then you're way ahead of the game.

These are probably no-brainers, but Trekky and Bu Hanan are the obvious label/collective choices for the first couple of these things.

And I definitely think the coupon (or something) idea for local venues is key . . . . having some relatively easy bridge between the on-campus shows and the local clubs would seem to be a crucial part. Perhaps even to the point of lining things up such that one or two of the (hopefully most kickass) bands would have shows a couple of weeks later at local clubs, so that the students who were blown away would be able to find 'em and see them again . . . I think something that really cemented my love of live local music was that ability to go see a band again, recognize the songs, see how they changed, etc, etc. That's one big thing that live local music has over other options, that repetition-with-changes, etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted (and/or keep asking for help . . . there are a lot of musicians/label types/etc lurking here).

Lindsay wrote:
To my understanding, there's been a lot of talk in the past about
trying to get students out to live music shows. And, why not? The
University is (quite literally) overrun with kids who are looking for
things to do. Live music should benefit from that. After discussing
this topic with students, venue owners, musicians, promoters, I
finally have an idea of something I can do (as a student-musician) to
help foster this relationship. I'm in the beginning stages of setting
up an on-campus concert series that will focus on local labels and
collectives. The plan is to have 4 concerts (one each semester), and
maybe have a student band open the performance. I want WXYC to record
the performances live, and every student that signs up for a listserve
promoting live music around town will get a free copy of the recorded
performance. The communications students will be in charge of the live
sound. The Daily Tarheel will promote the shows mercilessly, and
Diversions (the music section of the DTH) will cover the shows. The
Carolina Union Activities Board will fund everything that's needed,
performance space, promotion, etc. I'm hoping that the local venues
around town will co-sponsor the shows by offering coupons, or
something of the sort.

So, that's the gist of it. I'm just looking for some feedback, ideas,
suggestions on labels or collectives, or other ways to get the
community involved from some music veterans (as I'm still a newbie...
if you will). I appreciate your time, and am anticipating your