ch-scene - Re: mmmmmm, Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: mmmmmm, Durham
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:09:01 -0500

Isn't the Bread & Kabob building still available? If you want to perform a service to the community, resurrecting Bread & Kabob exactly as it was would be a darn good start. Mmmmm, veggie goop of all different varieties.

Re: the duck liver -- you should call Piedmont & ask whether it was made with fois gras or not. I've had pate de fois gras before and it's really disgustingly smooth & buttery & creamy & creepy. This was much more dense, akin in consistency to, say, Neese's Liver Pudding. But I dunno. Was not labeled as fois gras, but I suppose there's no requirement that it be so labeled.

I for one would probably rather see the entire commercial factory-farm industry dismantled and/or banned by the city of Chicago, as it's far more dangerous to much larger numbers of both people *and* animals, but I suppose one has to start somewhere. And in any case, nobody's posting rapturous reviews of Kentucky Fried Chicken to alt.music.chapel-hill, so fair enough.

Re: veg[an] dining, depending on yr feelings about faux-meats, there's a pretty crazy everything-is-actually-soy pan-Asian restaurant in Greensboro: http://www.triaddiner.com/view_rest.php?restid=121

I haven't eaten there, though. I never seem to be driving through Greensboro at mealtime.

xo

Ross

Mz. Binge & Sir Beloved wrote:
hi everyone,

My first post and it has to be this...ah, well.
I think it is great that Durham is getting some new restaurant action,
and that Piedmont has veg options.

I agree that we need a low cost place for all us poor east-enders
here...I'm thinking $2 veggie burgers and home-cooked vegan food, with
$3 soy white russians. I'll open right behind McD's in that brick
building and have a bike-through, and cater particularly to drunken
cyclists. Not really, but that would be nice.

In any case, regarding the fois gras (duck liver pate), I realize
everyone has their own philosophies about food, but there are some
facts about it for consideration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras. I'm sure most of you already
know something about this, but I thought I'd put it out there
cause...that crap is even more cruel than typical things like, um, hog
jowls and bowls.

Restaurant recommendations: I hereby demand (hope) that someone opens
up something just like this...:
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=16887. Only thing I
miss about Seatte. 'Cept for my grandma.

Thanks for reading.
--eleni