ch-scene - Re: mmmmmm, Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: mmmmmm, Durham
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:33:09 -0500

Mmmmmmmm, hog jowls.

My experience with Nicaraguan cuisine is strictly limited to that which has trickled down/up to These United States, as our friends at the Reader's Digest used to call 'em. I wouldn't know the coasts from the interior from the interior of my own butt; I was merely passing along what the menu sez.

I *do* have some passing experience with New Mexican cuisine, and while I'd say there's not enough green chile in any green-chile-related dish at Xiloa (or at least there wasn't last time I tried any), she's doing good work with the red, and in any case, putting *anything* on frybread renders it instantly divine.

xo

Ross

Duncan Murrell wrote:
Mosquito Coast or Pacific Coast? And what do you think about cuisine of the interior? I'm partial to Tipitapian cuisine myself. (That which can be found at my favorite places along the west bank of the Tipitapa River, which all charge $6 too little and will be _so_ over by the time you get there.) I've heard the steaks of Lake Nicaragua bull shark are scrumptious, and typically done with fresh-squeezed acai fruit and baked in locally raised banana leaves soaked in the fat of the pig jowl.

It is not, despite appearances, Pile On Grady Day over here. I kid 'cause I love, and also 'cause I'm bored. Plus, he's smarter and has a more sophisticated palate than me, the bastard.