ch-scene - Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John I <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:38:30 GMT

Chris Calloway wrote:

> --- John I <not AT hotmail.com> wrote:
>> If you are in the neighborhood, go to Waraji in
>> Raleigh.
>
> i do not understand the waraji worship in raleigh.
> it's just ok.

It's pretty damn good. I'v known Masa for twenty years. He and Kos built
that business out of nothing while Masa cut fish for 42nd Street and
labored under the Kanki yoke. The sushi there is great and the setting suits
me just fine.

> to the question about sushi in woodcroft, get on hwy
> 54 there where it goes by woodcroft and go just over
> the i-40 bridge. in the shopping center where the
> no-beer "mardi gras" kiddie bowling alley is, there's
> also a sushi and noodle place called tsunami. they are
> nice people. they have nice sushi. it's very clean and
> comfortable. they need your business. i do not
> understand why the place is not swamped all the time
> except that it's in a really bad location. they've
> been there over a year. they have all kinds of
> nontypical items. i'm rooting for them. they are my
> alternative to sushi tsune, which is alway too packed
> and closes too early.

sushi tsune has the same problem as Yama - small sushi. Plus service tends
to be a bit slow.