ch-scene - Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:40:02 GMT

grady wrote:

> Oh man, I registered rtplunch.com years ago in an attempt to force
> myself to develop a site so I could remind myself where to eat in RTP.
> It unfortunately suffered from mega-feature-creep in my head & so I
> never convinced myself I had enough time to build it, so it remains
> non-existent.
>
> It would know where all the restaurants are, and be able to do
> googlemaps for them. It would know what time they all close (most
> close at 2:00 in RTP but a few stay open later). It would be
> categorized by cuisine, yes, and by price, and speed-of-service.
>
> It would know where I work & tell me how long it'll take me to get
> there, eat, and get back.
>
> It would allow users to post reviews & comment on them. It would have
> scans of take-out menus.
>
> See, this is why I never got around to building it; doesn't that seem
> like it'd take forever? Although according to a Ruby On Rails demo I
> watched a couple of weeks ago, now it would apparently take 15 minutes
> ;-)
>
> Ross

I think that a site dedicated to local Church lunches would be a great
waste of time. It would keep track of all the BBQ/spagetti/chicken/
dinners offered by every church that ever tried to raise a buck by throwing
down. Any rating system would (of course) doom you to a swim in the lake
of eternal fire, so don't go there. But if you could track dates, type of
fare, denomination and location, then you would be be doing the lord's work
and tipping off the hipsters and squares to every cheap high calorie hom-
made meal in the tri-county area. There might even be a musical angle to
play in the project.