ch-scene - Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: good ethnic food in Durham/RTP area
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:41:39 -0500

Yeah, I used to work with a middle-aged Chinese man who really liked China One, but unless they've got one of those secret menus they only give to the Chinese customers, I didn't really find anything all that interesting there.

Of course, there are others who used to swear by that little chinese place down near Woodcroft/Garrett Road (is it still there, even?). And still others have raved about the joint next to Kroger at 54/Fayetteville Rd.

I don't really keep an extensive catalog of chinese takeout joints in the Triangle; in fact I've sort of edited that subsubgenre out of my diet, pretty much. I can say that if you're looking for something interesting & slightly different (and not really takeout-y, I guess), then Eastern Lights over behind [former] South Square is worth a visit. The handmade noodles are good, and the rest of the menu isn't just the same 10 dishes as everyplace else. I think they're chinese/korean, which would explain that, but I don't quite recall.

As I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, the N&O's Greg Cox has a weakness for chinese & he's a member of the China One chorus. Go to the advanced search on triangle.com/dining ( http://www.triangle.com/cgi-bin/trianglecom/dining/search_restaurants.cgi ) and search on chinese & sort by # of stars.

Ross

Chris Rossi wrote:
James Hepler wrote:
Went to Chosun OK last weekend. I should recommend
you go for lunch. Entrees were a tad on the pricey
side. But super tasty and good portions.
Can anyone vouch for the chinese takeout place near
there? Don't remember the name. But I've been told
that it's the best. I have trouble rating chinese takeout.

China one is maybe a quarter of a mile or so west on 54 from there. Ok, but nothing to write home about. Spice and Curry, in the same strip mall as Chosun, is actually pretty darn good, but you have to be in the mood for some spicy. I really like the red chicken.

chris