ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:48:18 -0500

You know, it occurred to me this morning that I never really answered this question in the way that I should've:

The best way to support [musical] artists is to go see them play, and drag your friends along with you. Clap & cheer for them. Go up to them after the show & tell them you enjoyed it. Most of the bands around here, at least the ones doing worthwhile music, don't seem to be all that hung up on the money, at least not as long as they're playing in-town. Touring bands are different: they've gotta make a certain amount per night just to keep gas in the van & food in their stomachs, nevermind paying all the rent & bills that are still accruing back at home. Buy a T-shirt from them.

The thing we've been talking about off & on for weeks is how to get more people out to see shows. This is partly out of concern for the "health of the scene," whatever that is (and I'm amazed at how many people carry a negative connotation for the word "scene" -- it makes them think of jaded exclusionary cooler-than-thou hipster cliques -- so I need to remember to use "community," which has its own weird connotations, but whatever), but partly because if we're hanging out on this newsgroup, it's likely because we really love the buzz we get from seeing people play music together, live, in real-time.

So if you want to support the artists: haul your friends out to the shows when you go. Make a night of it. And make a night of it more often: exercise what little influence you have with your friends to convert a plain-old night out in the bars, into a night out in the bars that feature live music.

And maybe you'll spend half your time standing in the back talking. That's OK, unless the band is so quiet that you're annoying everybody else. But maybe you'll spend the other half of the time watching the bands & remembering how much fun that can be. & then you'll do it again.

Ross