ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "trekky records" <willhack15 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues
  • Date: 1 Feb 2006 12:25:58 -0800

ok i read the whole thread.

i think that something like burned CD could be successful, but it would
have to be very well organized and i think that it would have to have
some interesting packaging (again i don't have the 3X4 CD but it looks
like cool packaging and that sparks my interest)

although not as underground or grassroots, a really well done and well
promoted compilation would be my other suggestion. i think labels are a
good way to get people into new music. that may seem a bit self
interested but it would be effective if well organized. if instead of
having one label release a comp we had 4 or 5 local labels contributing
and endorsing one comp then they could split the marketing costs and it
would be manageable for everyone.

as grady said, bands don't have money. but presumably labels do.

there have been good comps in the last few years (Compulation,
Patchwork) but there's honestly never been one that i thought was
strong all the way through.

also, hepler is right, people need to come to UNC kids if they want em.
its unfortunate that they won't in large numbers find it themselves but
that's just how it is.