ch-scene - Re: Kings cover-up thoughts

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Kings cover-up thoughts
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:07:08 -0500

Chris Calloway wrote:

it's not a contest between troika and cover-up. that
is, you can like both.

Todd said: "In fact, I'm having a hard time coming up with a serious competitor."

I was merely suggesting one [obvious] possibility.

accretions of otherwise-unrelated local musicians are
one thing what make new local bands. cover-up has much
the same effect as rock lotto as far as lasting
legacies. it shakes things up. if it doesn't get
people working together, it at least lets people know
why.

You know, earlier this year I was thinking about Rock Lotto (OK, it was while I was watching Fluff Chick). Are there any other bands besides Fluff Chick who trace their lineage back to Rock Lotto?

Not that it would be a slight on Rock Lotto if there weren't; it truly *was* the best party/spectacle/rockshow Of All Time. Every time.

peeps i talked to *all* would appreciate troika more
if it would go back to being in one place at a time.
having to choose which venue from the menu at any
given time was too much of a sxsw or cmj fuckfest. it
was kinda anti-scene-defining. not that we don't
appreciate that.

Yeah, it was a drag: here's a year's worth of good local music distilled down to a week's worth of shows, including all the compromises & annoyances and scheduling impossibilities that characterize the damn thing the *rest* of the year. Still, there wasn't much else scheduled up against that last night at 305 South, and it really was one of those Hallmark Moments.

all in all, if you had to look it up in a dictionary,
like "what is this 7 brides thing y'all are talking
about?," and find a good, concise, portable definition
in one place, well then, the cover-up would be about
as "scene-defining" as anything i've heard.

todd wins.

Oh, we're arguing over whether the "scene" (wait, was I supposed to capitalize that? I can't ever remember) can/should be defined again? He's welcome to that one, then. Dictionary, though? More like Wikipedia.

See you & Todd at the Minutemen thing at 506?

Ross