ch-scene - Re: Kings cover-up thoughts

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Kings cover-up thoughts
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:29:24 -0500

Local indie-rocker supergroup that performed annually at the Mammoth Christmas Party, doing a set of covers of whatever was hip/pop/mainstream (at the time the reference was "MTV Buzz Bin" but I don't know if such a thing exists anymore). Nowadays it seems like you'd have to be a one of those hip-hop/metal bands to be able to really cover the bases of what's popular.

Here's a pertinent excerpt from this Jon Wurster interview here: http://www.monkey.org/~chunk/superchunk/news/interview
"
DK: What's going on with your side project, 7 Brides for the Meatwagon?

JW: We did our one show for the year at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill.
That was our third show and we just did our versions of the MTV Buzz-Bin
songs for the past year in a way that only we can, horribly. We usually
do it the second week of December, in conjunction with the Mammoth
Records Christmas Party, but it is an open show. In the past we've done
songs like "Seether."
[. . .]
DK: Who else is in the band?

JW: I play guitar; Jim plays bass; Joe Ventura, my former roommate, does
drums; Rob Munk, from Tinsel, handles the vocals, and Ed Crawford,
formerly of Firehose, plays the guitar and is the only one who gives true
merit to our musicianship. This year, we did that Alanis song, "Hand In
My Pocket" and that Cranberries' song - "Zombie." The one rule for our
show is that at least one person in the band has to partially like the
song....excepting the Alanis song and the Cranberries' song, but how could we
not do them? The one song that we did that sent people scrambling to the
bar and bathroom was Soul Asylum's "Misery."

"

Chris Rossi wrote:
What is this 7 brides thing y'all are talking about?

chris