ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:42:00 -0800 (PST)

I have to concur, as some of the worst, and some of
the slowest (they can be mutally exclusive), service I
have recieved in recent memory has been at Federal on
several different occasions. Right now they are
hitting right around the Mendoza line, with 1 out of 5
visits being decent. I keep going back because the
food really is pretty amazing.
But I would be back more often if I felt confident
that I would get waited on within 30 minutes of being
seated, and if after an hour wait my food actually
came out as I ordered it, 30 minutes ago.

-5er

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> They must recognize your high-caliber ranting skills
> and treat you with
> kid gloves, then. The rest of us are periodically
> treated to the Amazing
> Diappearing Waitress, and just a couple of weeks ago
> I had a bowl of
> soup that took 20 minutes to materialize & was
> more-or-less room
> temperature when it arrived.
>
> At most other restaurants, these experiences might
> be enough for me to
> write the joint off, given that it's a 45-minute
> drive from my house,
> but the rest of the time the food is so fucking
> great (and when it's
> good, the service is fine), and the beer selection
> so pleasant, and yes,
> the prices so reasonable (although the food is so
> good I don't even
> consider the prices) that I keep going back, *and*
> steering other people
> to it.
>
> Late lunch on Saturday seems to be a pretty reliable
> time to go, and it
> works out pretty well with matinees at the Carolina,
> which despite its
> own set of quirks is my favorite theater in the
> Triangle. They both seem
> pretty quintessentially New Durham, in fact. Or I
> guess the American
> Tobacco Mall/Southpoint North is that now?
>
> Anyway. I love Federal, despite its quirks, and
> isn't that what True
> Love is all about?
>
> xo
>
> Ross
>
> p.s. less black pepper, please!
>
> Chris Calloway wrote:
> > Also, whether Abby or anybody else, I've never had
> anything but
> > fantastically great and friendly service at The
> Federal, even from
> > the neophyte first-day on the job servers. I'm at
> the point where I
> > just don't see the need to go anywhere else but
> The Federal if I can
> > get there before the kitchen closes and my
> financial goal in life is
> > to get to the point of making enough money again
> where I can eat
> > there every day. The Federal just excels in every
> category: food,
> > atmosphere, value, and service. And excels in
> those categories to a
> > degree and at a consistency that just seems a
> little surreal. Really,
> > there seems to be some magic pixie dust scattered
> over the place.
> > They do a superhuman job.
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
> alt.music.chapel-hill --

"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews

http://farechase.yahoo.com