ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:58:24 -0400

When was 15% declared not enough exactly? I was always taught 15% growing up. I usually tip closer to 20% these days, mostly from having had lots of food service friends in college. But occasionaly if someone is really bad I'll go lower. I much prefer the european model where service is included in the price of food and/or in a cover charge. I haven't noticed service suffer any when the wait staff knows up front what they're getting and know it's going to be fair. In fact the US is about the rudest place I've ever been, inside or outside of a restaurant. Not that I've been *lots* of different places.

chris

grady wrote:
The math question is certainly one major reason why I went to 20% shortly after 15% was declared not-enough. I'm still not sure *who* determined 15% was not-enough, and exactly when that was, but in any case 20% is easier enough to figure out than 15%, even (for someone mathematically challenged such as myself) that I figure it pays for itself in not-having-to-do-mathness.

Nathaniel Florin wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a couple days now
(slow week) and I've concluded that a 17% tip is
ridiculous. I mean, get a good meal and a couple of
glasses of wine in me and then... 17%? How do I figure
that out? I guess you take the total bill and divide
by 6 and add enough change to get to a round number,
but that's way too complicated.
Multiples of 5, always multiples of 5.

Nate