ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Matt" <matt.kalb AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: 28 Oct 2005 21:25:04 -0700

I'm going to get even more off-topic in this off-topic thread.
Something unrelated to the pre-tax/post-tax question in the Straight
Dope link (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mtiplesstax.html) was of
interest to me. Someone who knows: please confirm or deny whether tips
in our local restaurants typically get reduced ala this scenario.

"If you've paid with a charge card, the restaurant pays a fee to the
charge card company. Many restaurants (I was going to say "most", in my
experience, but I haven't seen a formal survey) reduce the tip
proportionately to reflect the costs to the credit card company. If you
ask, they'll tell you it doesn't matter, but if you are friendly enough
with a waiter to get the truth behind the polite fiction, often it DOES
matter--the waiter is getting less than what you wrote on the charge
slip."

That sounds totally batshit to me, making the waiter somehow
financially responsible for the restaurant's cost of doing business.

Say it ain't so.

Matt