ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rick sawyer <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:35:54 -0400

> Why don't we just go straight to exterminating them. That's pretty callous.
> I tip some would say extravagantly (over 20% usually). But I wouldn't say
> people who make less than I do who tip 15% are committing some sort of
> restaurant crime.

i mean, clearly i am not calling to exterminate anybody. but, i think
it's far more callous for some weblogger dude with ineffable hipster
cachet to declare that 17% is sufficient for "attentive service." it
simply isn't. not when the uncouth, the out of touch, and my mom
think the going tipping rate rests somewhere between 10% and 15%.

i mean, come on. when was the minimum wage last raised for waitstaff?
the early nineties? there's been 13 years of ~3% inflation since
then. you pay more, in the cost of wages for other services -- at the
hotel, for instance. why not for your food?

and whether your less fortunate friends tip at rates commensurate with
a dude who spends an admitted annual $20,000 dining out isn't really
the issue. given the resources (and assuming that your poor friends
are anything like my poor friends) they'd probably tip more.

r!