ch-scene - Re: Ryan Adams Raleigh 6/8/05 non-review

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: jgmclean0 AT yahoo.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Ryan Adams Raleigh 6/8/05 non-review
  • Date: 9 Jun 2005 13:21:48 -0700

Ron Redfield wrote:

> Nevertheless, at saturdays show, I felt like I was
> witnessing rock n roll history. He blew me away. Latest one is "cold roses",
> which i need to get. He can play that guitar. He gets so lost in it, in such
> tangents, that it really goes threw my soul as I watch him play. I keep
> thinking of a Hendrix comparison.

I just barely held off referencing Hendrix myself; the moment last
night when Adams, at the end of a blistering solo, dragged the guitar
face down across the stage in front of the monitors, screaming
feedback, then flipped it over and walked away from it, still screaming
feedback, but somehow still perfectly in tune and synch with the song,
then *went back and knelt down to adjust the dials* to change the
timbre of the feedback, walked away again, then turned around and
grabbed it and finished the song in one motion -- holy crap. It felt
like Live at Leeds, goosebump stuff, and I'm not even a big fan of
cathartic soloing.

The other comparison I came up with, God help me, was Ray Charles --
not, obviously, in a musical sense but as the only other performer I've
seen with that spooky, psychic sense of effortlessly creating *exactly*
the desired effect.

JGM