ch-scene - Re: Ryan Adams Raleigh 6/8/05 non-review

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ryan Adams Raleigh 6/8/05 non-review
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:44:47 -0400

Oh for chrissake, why do people want to keep hanging that albatross around Caitlin's neck? Thad Cockrell sounds "fairly similar" to HWSNBN in the sense that they're both southern white men. That's about as far as it goes. Thad's voice is a good 1-2 octaves higher than the Captain's, and his phrasing & accent are different as well.

Yes, Begonias is an excellent album, of true duets, and it deserves to be judged on its own merits.

Steve Ferra wrote:

I mentioned this about a month ago, but with the album now due out Tuesday, I'll give it another shout: Caitlin has teamed up with Thad Cockrell for a "duet" album called Begonias, and it's really great. Cockrell sounds fairly similar at times to Adams, making Begonias the next closest thing to a Whiskeytown reunion. In fact, "Second Option", the standout track on the album, sounds like it came off Pneumonia.