ch-scene - Re: Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Never call me Phil" <philipayers AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)
  • Date: 9 Feb 2005 06:43:21 -0800

Liquid Sky was more or less a new york russian emigre product. I knew
the costume designer and the cinematographer on Liquid Sky. They were
recently arrived from Soviet Russia and spoke very little english. The
director of Liquid Sky was russian..i theink? anyway, they were
married, jewish, nice, and had worked in the soviet state sponsored
film industry, but not enough, because of the prejudice against jews at
that time. Both graduated from the state film school. They lived out
on Roosevelt Island or were trying too. I like the movie a little,
because it basically was off the wall, inventive, and a lot of fun, and
it had nothing to do with these two people in my mind. IT makes me
think of the east village scene. Lot's of foreign ideas, looking weird
out of context, and not very serious, and not very well done. I liked
the music, but the rest was a joke. Have no idea what happened to Uri
and Marina? Haven't seen them in years, but I guess they still live on
Roosvelt Island. Love the night we all got drunk on these little salty
oven roasted potatoes and vodka. Hated the look of that film., too dark
and too garish.