ch-scene - Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Nouvelle Vague Films (was: Re: I think this guy...)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:14:23 -0500

I haven't seen URGH! in about 14 years, and this is all I remember:

1. Lux.

2. Gary Newman, caked in make up, motionless and rolling around the stage on a golf-cart. He saw the future. Of Christopher Reeve.

3. Gang of Four may have been leftists, but they sure dressed a lot like Duran Duran.

Has anyone watched Liquid Sky recently? Does it still suck, or has it taken on a patina of amusement that glosses over the shockless androgyny?

Smithereens, at last viewing, still sucks. I never liked Diva, but then, other than Nomi, I've never like opera. Repo Man holds up. I find Rude Boy ten times more powerful now than I did in it's day. They made a film about how they dicked over a fan!

Bendy

domcasualties AT yahoo.com wrote:
As far as URGH! goes, I really enjoyed Nomi's performance and thought
his early 70s take on an-alien-in-Fleischer-cartoon makeup was
stunning. However, Skafish's performance put me to sleep. My favorite
piece would have to be the Cramps' version of "Tear It Up." Lux rules
that movie.

Jamie