ch-scene - Re: I think this guy...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: I think this guy...
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:29:11 -0800 (PST)

--- bendy <bendy AT duke.edu> wrote:
> I see your jandek and raise you a KLAUS

thanks for the link, bender. i've been wondering where
all the recent nomi worship has been coming from.
contrast it with what an interview with director
andrew horn has to say about nomi on his aids deathbed
in 1983:

"One of the saddest angles to "Nomi Song" is the
parade of witnesses who confess they were too paranoid
to visit him in the hospital. "It was treated like the
plague then,"

i hadn't realized that was nomi in the backup singer
lineup for bowie's scary monsters appearance on snl.
to hear the never released in the u.s. otherwordly
voice:

http://mrhappysad.com/weblog/mp3s/nomi_i_feel_love.mp3
http://unosunosyunosceros.com/tRibuTO/Nomi.swf

kind of a male nina hagen. the phrase "big in europe"
was invented for nomi, i think.

i understand we missed ann magnuson at the nomi film
debut yesterday. oh dear.

it's weird how both the jandek and nomi trailers seem
to put on this cartoon-myth stylism to blow up their
fanboy subculture subject matter into something worth
devoting an entire film to. there was a bit of that
cartoonishness in the ramones film, but it came from
the ramones themselves, wasn't made romantic, and
their fandom went much beyond a hidden subculture.
there was some of it even in 24hrpp, with the ufo
thing, but still, a broader effect.

3