ch-scene - Re: (OT) soliciting advice

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: burton AT email.unc.edu
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: (OT) soliciting advice
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:59:10 -0500

there are at least 3 aspects of this:

1. property damage (your car). they will try and total your car and pay you
blue book. it will never cover the cost of even replacing it with a like
vehicle bc you can never find a decent car at blue book amount. plus you may
need to rent a car. plus if they fix your car you are entitled to the
difference in what it was worth before and after the accident (diminution of
value). they will never tell you this.

2. personal medical claim: your medical bills. you don't know what they will
be for a while until you are sure you are back to healed. keep careful
records of every dollar spent on this. they will try and lowball you.

3. pain and suffering. this not only includes the pain of the accident and
subsequent injury. it also includes the freaking aggravation of it all.
standing around out there in the cold bc this idiot couldn't drive. having to
take time off from work to deal with this all.

chances are that if you do not have a lawyer they will never offer you any
more than your emergency room bill and the blue book on the car. most
personal injury lawyers will give you a free consultation and take the case
on contingent fee. they will also take around a third of the payoff. more if
it has to go to court.
ps. i don't do personal injury.
love, bb

Quoting "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>:

Hi everyone,

So I have a bit of a dilema and since I value the
opinions and advice of the fine folks on this list, I
thought I would pick your brains for a second.

The situation is this...

About two weeks ago, I was involved in an automobile
accident. Some yahoo in a Ford Explorer ran a red
light and basically demolished my poor little Dodge
Neon. It was never a fair fight. My Neon was left as
a crumpled piece of scrap metal, while the guy was
able to drive his Explorer home afterwards. Luckily,
no one was seriously injured (thank god i did not have
a passenger) but i did suffer a broken finger (don't
ask me how, i have no idea) that warranted a trip to
the hosptial, eventual surgery, and a lot of general
discomfort and a over all pain in the ass...in a
manner of speaking.

My question is this, now that i have all this stuff to
deal with - medical bills, lost time at work, a
crumpled car that is surely totaled - and at this
point its basically me vs this guy's insurance
company, would it be smart move for me to get a
lawyer? and if so, would anyone have any
recommendations on who i should call?

I've never dealt with anything like this before so I'm
not even entirely sure of my options. But I figure
some amongst you might have found yourselves in
similiar situations in the past and might have some
good advice. I really don't want and cannot afford to
get screwed on this one.

Feel free to email me off list if you have any advice,
and thanks in advance to any who might have feedback.

Hope everyone has some festive, happy and safe
holidaze!

-5er (martin)

=====
"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews