ch-scene - Re: (OT) soliciting advice

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: (OT) soliciting advice
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:15:15 -0500

Well, I don't know how long it took for them to pay him off when I hit the other guy, but it took freaking forever for them to pay *me* off, and my insurance company is one of the "good ones." If your car is un-driveable, which is what it sounds like, then I'd be harassing his insurance agent for a rental. Did you get one?

If you've got a rental that they're paying for, then the fact that they're already sending an adjuster is a *good* sign. It'll take a bit for them to do their report & have it go through the channels, and yes, I'd count on the holiday to slow things up. If you don't have a rental, I'd be calling his agent at home daily to ask why not.

If there's a police report, I wouldn't worry too much about the ticket thing. I didn't get a ticket, either, but the report was clear about who did what & there was no question that my insurance company was on the hook. I wouldn't waste money retaining a lawyer unless things go sharply south.

Ross

5er (martin) wrote:
--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

Is there a police report? Was the guy issued a
ticket?

there is a police report that lists the other guy as
being at fault. and there were witnesses. but the
officer did not issue a ticket. which surprised me.
but he said "don't really issue tickets in this sort
of thing anymore. the guy is gonna get screwed by his
insurance anyway, so we usually let that be the
penalty." ??? at the time i was so rattled that this
really didn't sink in. after the fact im like "what
the fuck?"

If you've got some official record that the guy was
at fault, you shouldn't run into trouble, and in any case, you
shouldn't need to worry about pre-emptively getting a lawyer.

If for some reason there is no police report, or the
officer didn't write the guy a ticket, then you might want to
consider it, because you might need to rustle up some other witnesses, and
the sooner you do that, the better. Lawyers with traffic experience
know how to deal with that.

this is what got me to thinking about getting a
lawyer.
so maybe i should.

When I've been in wrecks that were the other
person's fault, my insurance company has been very helpful, both in
answering questions and in dealing with the other person's insurance
company. This might vary from company to company and policy to policy, but
you should certainly be talking to them (I assume you already have--they
like to know when a vehicle they're insuring has been in a wreck,
regardless of whose fault it was).

Have you heard from/dealt with the other guy's
insurance company yet? When I was in a wreck that was my fault last year,
my insurance company ran around frantically trying to make sure the other
people were OK and had everything they needed. Of course, not everybody
has USAA insurance, sadly.

my insurance company has not been much help, but i
definitely need to talk to them again. for advice,
and i plan to do that. my agent was out of the office
this week so i have not been able to talk to him. but
the receptionist basically said "if the accident
wasn;t your fault, you really don't need to talk to
us." once again...???

i've talked to the other guys insurance agent once.
i called him, he did not get in touch with me.
he was not unhelpful, but he wasn't exactly helpful
either. he said he was sending an adjuster out this
week to check on my car, and an adjuster called on
monday to find out where my car was, but as of
yesterday nothing had happened.
i tried reaching him yesterday but none of my calls
were returned. chalk it up to the holiday? maybe.
but it all has me a little bit uneasy.

thanks ross!

-5er