ch-scene - Re: (OT) soliciting advice

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: (OT) soliciting advice
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:05:09 -0800 (PST)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Is there a police report? Was the guy issued a
> ticket?

there is a police report that lists the other guy as
being at fault. and there were witnesses. but the
officer did not issue a ticket. which surprised me.
but he said "don't really issue tickets in this sort
of thing anymore. the guy is gonna get screwed by his
insurance anyway, so we usually let that be the
penalty." ??? at the time i was so rattled that this
really didn't sink in. after the fact im like "what
the fuck?"

> If you've got some official record that the guy was
> at fault, you
> shouldn't run into trouble, and in any case, you
> shouldn't need to worry
> about pre-emptively getting a lawyer.
>
> If for some reason there is no police report, or the
> officer didn't
> write the guy a ticket, then you might want to
> consider it, because you
> might need to rustle up some other witnesses, and
> the sooner you do
> that, the better. Lawyers with traffic experience
> know how to deal with
> that.

this is what got me to thinking about getting a
lawyer.
so maybe i should.

> When I've been in wrecks that were the other
> person's fault, my
> insurance company has been very helpful, both in
> answering questions and
> in dealing with the other person's insurance
> company. This might vary
> from company to company and policy to policy, but
> you should certainly
> be talking to them (I assume you already have--they
> like to know when a
> vehicle they're insuring has been in a wreck,
> regardless of whose fault
> it was).
>
> Have you heard from/dealt with the other guy's
> insurance company yet?
> When I was in a wreck that was my fault last year,
> my insurance company
> ran around frantically trying to make sure the other
> people were OK and
> had everything they needed. Of course, not everybody
> has USAA insurance,
> sadly.

my insurance company has not been much help, but i
definitely need to talk to them again. for advice,
and i plan to do that. my agent was out of the office
this week so i have not been able to talk to him. but
the receptionist basically said "if the accident
wasn;t your fault, you really don't need to talk to
us."
once again...???

i've talked to the other guys insurance agent once.
i called him, he did not get in touch with me.
he was not unhelpful, but he wasn't exactly helpful
either. he said he was sending an adjuster out this
week to check on my car, and an adjuster called on
monday to find out where my car was, but as of
yesterday nothing had happened.

i tried reaching him yesterday but none of my calls
were returned. chalk it up to the holiday? maybe.
but it all has me a little bit uneasy.

thanks ross!

-5er