ch-scene - Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ken and Beth Mosher <snz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:02:49 GMT

--MS_Mac_OE_3181568577_4213695_MIME_Part

This question, and similar questions, cannot be answered in sound bytes. I
am 100% for the separation of church and state, I am 100% against
legislating morality. I don't believe that two wrongs make a right, or that
the end justifies the means.

That said, it's time for liberals to take their gloves off.

Liberals will sit around for years and debate REAL ethical questions. They
SHOULD be debated. But in case ya'll have missed it, there is NO DEBATING
GOING ON! By the end of this year, our enemy is in position to steal another
election, jam Patriot Act II right up our arses, AND possibly be taking
steps to overturn RoeVWade AND pursue constitutional amendments restricting
the rights of gays and minorities..

And we'll still be worrying about upsetting our neighbors!

At ANY other time in my life, I promise that would have had grave concerns
about such an obvious attempt to sway the masses with obviously biased
programming near an election, regardless of the slant.. (See, that proves
that I'm a liberal.)

But here's how I justify showing Fahrenheit 911 right here, right now: The
conservative media has saturated the marketplace with their "news." THAT IS
WRONG #1

The conservative administration has gutted the regulatory agencies to a
point where they cannot / will not do anything about shills like Sinclair.
THAT WOULD BE WRONG #2, except THAT IT IS NO LONGER WRONG... SEEE?

In my minds, the Neocons have waged a one-sided war on the minds of
Americans, and the future of America. Just ask George Bush... in war,
there are no rules.

We just don't have time to be polite and nice. America will not be the same
after 4 more years of this administration. Ethical debates can be saved for
the historians who will look back on this era as (hopefully) the time when
America looked destruction right in the eye and bravely changed course.

I don't know if F911 actually could change the minds of anyone at this
point. Frankly, I doubt that anyone who I'd like to target would watch it,
or watch it without the prejudiced spin-echo refuting every word of it.
They've heard three months of continuous anti-Michael Moore spin.

But I'd hate to lose this war knowing that we failed to use a very powerful
(and very harmless) weapon, and I'd love to win the war through the
non-violent democratic process. This may be the last chance for those who's
rights are in jeopardy. (not to mention the lives affected by the real wars,
in Iraq and Afghanistan)

Ken M

> Yes, if a group of over-the-air tv stations wanted to show Fahrenheit
> 9/11, for free, what would your response be? (please, people, no more
> stalling!)
> (whether or not it would actually happen is totally off of the point.)

--MS_Mac_OE_3181568577_4213695_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">This question, and similar questions, cannot be answered in =
sound bytes. &nbsp;I am 100% for the separation of church and state, I am 10=
0% against legislating morality. I don't believe that two wrongs make a righ=
t, or that the end justifies the means. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
That said, it's time for liberals to take their gloves off. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Liberals will sit around for years and debate REAL ethical questions. They =
SHOULD be debated. &nbsp;But in case ya'll have missed it, there is NO DEBAT=
ING GOING ON! By the end of this year, our enemy is in position to steal ano=
ther election, jam Patriot Act II right up our arses, AND possibly be taking=
steps to overturn RoeVWade AND pursue constitutional amendments restricting=
the rights of gays and minorities.. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
And we'll still be worrying about upsetting our neighbors!<BR>
<BR>
At ANY other time in my life, I promise that would have had grave concerns =
about such an obvious attempt to sway the masses with obviously biased progr=
amming near an election, regardless of the slant.. &nbsp;(See, that proves t=
hat I'm a liberal.)<BR>
<BR>
But here's how I justify showing Fahrenheit 911 right here, right now: &nbs=
p;The conservative media has saturated the marketplace with their &quot;news=
.&quot; <B>THAT IS WRONG #1<BR>
</B><BR>
The conservative administration has gutted the regulatory agencies to a poi=
nt where they cannot / will not do anything about shills like Sinclair. <B>T=
HAT WOULD BE WRONG #2, except THAT IT IS NO LONGER WRONG... SEEE? &nbsp;<BR>
</B><BR>
In my minds, the Neocons have waged a one-sided war on the minds of America=
ns, and the future of America. &nbsp;Just ask George Bush... &nbsp;in war, t=
here are no rules. <BR>
<BR>
We just don't have time to be polite and nice. America will not be the same=
after 4 more years of this administration. Ethical debates can be saved for=
the historians who will look back on this era as (hopefully) the time when =
America looked destruction right in the eye and bravely changed course. <BR>
<BR>
I don't know if F911 actually could change the minds of anyone at this poin=
t. Frankly, I doubt that anyone who I'd like to target <B>would</B> watch it=
, or watch it without the prejudiced spin-echo refuting every word of it. Th=
ey've heard three months of continuous anti-Michael Moore spin. <BR>
<BR>
But I'd hate to lose this war knowing that we failed to use a very powerful=
(and very harmless) weapon, and I'd love to win the war through the non-vio=
lent democratic process. &nbsp;This may be the last chance for those who's r=
ights are in jeopardy. (not to mention the lives affected by the real wars, =
in Iraq and Afghanistan)<BR>
<BR>
Ken M<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt; Yes, if a group of over-the-air tv stations wanted to show Fahrenheit<=

&gt; 9/11, for free, what would your response be? (please, people, no more<=

&gt; stalling!)<BR>
&gt; (whether or not it would actually happen is totally off of the point.)=
<BR>
&gt; <BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3181568577_4213695_MIME_Part--