ch-scene - Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:48:51 -0400

Well, it's a big high-grossing movie. I assume somebody might want to show it on TV at some point, although probably not broadcast TV--their idea of "controversial" progressive content would be to show "Day After Tomorrow" without ample disclaimers. In any case, I'd certainly hope that no single owner of 60+ TV stations would force local station managers to pre-empt regular programming a week and a half before a presidential election to show it.

And it's not that great a movie to begin with. Moore wastes a lot of time on The Saudi Royal Family without ever really connecting all the dots as to why we should give a shit, and overall there's too much innuendo, unexplained montage, and Michael Moore voiceover. Surely he could've found some reputable or at least semi-reputable people to make some of the salient points in a coherent manner on-camera, rather than just writing all the damning stuff into his script & then reading it himself.

Or rather, he could if he weren't something of an egomaniac.

However, I would fucking cream myself with joy if the news media in this country could be bothered to seriously investigate even 20% of the charges that Moore makes, and get to the bottom of whether they're true & whether we should care.

See, that's how it's supposed to work: the nutjobs with axes to grind publish their pamphlets or make their speeches or make documentary films (who knew, when I was studying it in film school, that it'd suddenly be such a Hot Prospect--I should've stuck with it instead of going into the computer bidness) and then the journalists investigate the claims & charges and weed out the truth from the nutty propaganda.

Sinclair have a long history of short-circuiting that process & running the nutty propaganda as a regular part of their nightly news product--the red- and race-baiting TV commentaries of a young Jesse Helms would fit in quite nicely with Sinclair VP Mark Hyman's periodic "editorial" rants, which are taped in Baltimore & beamed to all of their stations.

But don't take my word for it; he'll probably be on the WB tonight.

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
--- Hoopla <dmccalldds AT gmail.com> wrote:

What would everyone's reponse be if a media group
wanted to show "
Fahrenheit 9/11"???

Can you be more specific? I mean, are you asking how
I would feel if it were the exact same thing, except
Fahrenheit 9/11 instead of Stolen Honor? Because
that's just such a foreign concept that I'm not sure
if I can imagine it. I would have the same problem if
a media group tried to air left leaning propaganda,
pretending that it's news so that opposing views and
counter arguments could be suppressed. Except my side
of the debate doesn't feel the need to stoop that
low. We like to win fairly if ata ll possible.