ch-scene - RE: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: This just in (was Re: local Sinclair stations)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:53:32 -0700 (PDT)

The trick with Stolen Honor isn't about bias or
one-sidedness. It's about lies as news. Even
"innuendo" like F911 doesn't compare.

Although the former building super of the WTC has
decided it's not just innuendo:

http://www.summeroftruth.org/images/Rodriguez-v-Bush-10-21-04.pdf

Other folks decide the way is to just keep repeating
things until repetition has its effect:

http://www.movieminder.com/movlist/?movieID=2873&tab=times

there was a document of 59 F911 "deceits" circulated
on the web. moore answered them all:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911notes/index.php?id=16

this TV network has decided to present "allegations"
even when they naughties were caught red-handed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3955989.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3956129.stm

the thing about sinclair is that they are willing to
air what they damn well know to be lies as close to
the election as possible knowing they cannot be
countered in time, especially in the middle of get out
the vote operations. the thing about F911 is that it
put in front of people so many things that were news
that the news media did not choose to put in front of
people. the going upriver film is totally documented
and really should have been on TV because it is
absolute biography, warts and all. we're at a point
where the news has to be shown as independent
newsreels in theaters while networks using public
airwaves keep news off the air in favor of outright
fabrications from known cointelpro nixon plumber john
o'neill.

F911 is about as tame as your ordinary episode of
Frontline. F911 contains far less "innuendo" than
Highjacking Catastrophe, although everything in HC is
documented public knowledge, and is a much better made
film than HC. i'd have no problems with F911 being on
TV, much more so than "debates" which are nothing more
than an opportunity for someone to stand up and lie
over and over. the fact that F911, and the readily
available material in it, *haven't* been on TV is much
more of the problem. there's nothing about F911 that
is either an outright lie or intentionally abusive
rhetoric, and there is previously unheard on TV
newsworthy content in it, which is *not* what can be
said about any product from the Swift Boat Vet confab.

i went to see F911 with it in mind that, supposing i
were a moderate Repub or conservative Dem, would it
sway me or repulse me? would it sound out as
propaganda or nutty ass conspiracy theory? i found it
had enough of both the far out and the down to earth
to balance out, and thus didn't think it was anything
more than harmless preaching to the choir. i've since
heard from enough mod Rs and con Ds to know that it
*did* sway many, and thus i think i may have been too
harsh on it. i didn't think it was a great film, just
good. it was good enough to make me go out and grab
Bowling for Columbine, which was a great film.

i just had a documentary marathon of pre-election
films at my house this past weekend. a couple of films
i saw more than once, three times actually. couple i
saw for the second time. some for the first. i was
thinking a lot about whether all these films do any
good or not. I'm still not sure what to think. i'm
leaning towards some good. the bad is that these films
present a view so contrary to what people are fed by
their newspapers and TVs every day, that how does
someone who lives on a diet of Fox News to the point
of having no internal critical mechanism left process
anything contrary to what they've been told so many
times with such stuporous arguments? such people live
in a separate reality:

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Report10_21_04.pdf

so again, the point isn't whether viewpoints are on
the airwaves. it's whether news is kept off the
airwaves in favor of crafted lies.

the other bad is that the independent newsreels have
inspired a new industry of Stolen Honors and Celsius
41.11s. it's not enough to drive the news off the
airwaves and into theaters.

the good is that for those of us who need some anchor
to material reality to maintain our sociability, the
independent newsreels are some kind of lifeline. to
get even just that much good, which is about all the
good we've got, we have to put up with a couple of
bads. without the couple of bads, we've got no good at
all. i couldn't really tell that anyone at docuthon
was spurred by what they saw to do more than what they
were already doing (especially with some of us
stretched beyond what could be healthy). it was pretty
much just maintenance of the soul. worn out from
canvassing conservative Dems, the somewhat like-minded
sprawled on the couch and nibbled on crudite.

background all this with how i found out from whom to
me are credible witnesses during the docuthon that i'm
actually *in* a new political documentary currently
showing on hbo, although i cannot verify this as i
gave up movie channels in some possibly ill-advised
cost cutting scheme. if i saw myself on hbo, would i
say hoyah now i'm jazzed even more or would i say damn
do i ever need to lose some fucking weight?

it feels like being trapped in that spectacular
simulacra where everything is faux, know wotta mean?

3