ch-scene - Re: 23 Acts, 4 Stages = Sat Nite in Carrboro

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 23 Acts, 4 Stages = Sat Nite in Carrboro
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:46:25 -0400

If you don't want your inbox "choked up with the minutae of everyone's schedules" then I'd suggest that unsubscribing now would be the prudent thing, as minutiae such as who's playing where & when are one variety of thing that this listserv exists for.

For the record: I don't have a band. Never have, never will. I'm sure that if I did, it would indeed suck. However, I fail to see how my puny sniping in cyberspace could possibly be *more* divisive than throwing the muscle of the region's dominant free weekly behind a scheme to turn the local music scene into a popularity contest in which it's necessary to "play in front of the right people" in order to even get nominated.

xoxox

Ross

p.s. there are many other people in the community getting together this weekend to do something GOOD onstage at many venues other than the Cradle on Saturday night. If we all hurry, maybe we can completely trash them all before lunchtime.

Mark Simonsen wrote:
It is exactly this kind of petty comment that makes the Chapel Hill
music scene seem so exclusive and cliquish. Why is it that every time
people in this community try to get together to do something GOOD,
somebody has to come along and completely trash it and the people who
worked so hard to put it together? I have watched Catherine Kerr work
tirelessly to promote our music scene- much moreso than any other
individual that I know (she is responsible for curating the displays
of local rock memoribilia throughout Carrboro). I cannot sit back and
have my friends be so thoughtlessly criticized when they are
generously and voluntarily contributing something GOOD to our
community. Cat does this because she loves music- same reason most of
us are on this list. But instead of sitting in front of a computer
screen bitching and moaning about every shakeup in the local status
quo, she is actually out there doing the shaking. Sorry Grady (if
that is who wrote the post to which I am responding). What makes
picking up the Independent so hard? It's FREE! It's at almost every
club in town. How much easier can it be? Do we really need our
inboxes choked up with the minutae of everyone's schedules? So the
Indy awards are not "Indy" enough for you? Well it's their first year
doing it. Maybe you can get involved next time and make it better. Your band didn't make it onto the ballot? Maybe you didn't play in
front of the right people. Maybe you didn't do enough leg work
(running a band is hard work and takes a lot of time). Or maybe your
band just plain sucks. It's enough to make a person want to simply
bid this listserve a fond farewell. (By the way- i have never heard
your band should you actually have one so the statement about your
band "sucking" is completely hypothetical).

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
wrote: Oh, I get it. Yr high-priced communication-consultant brain
says "if I post the full lineup here, I'll have no reason to tell
them to pick up a copy of the paper."

Tell me, who was the one with the brilliant idea to not print any biographical information about the nominees until *after* the voting
was over? I'm sure there was some strategic thinking behind that one
as well, but I can't quite suss it out.

Probably the same person who didn't think to post MP3s of the
nominated songs to the website . . . heaven forbid anyone get to hear
what they're voting for.

catherine kerr wrote:

Have Fun / Great Bands on Sat Nite - All this and more will be had
at the Indy Music Awards - Sat, Oct 2nd from 6-1 Tickets are $10 at
the ArtsCenter and the Cat's Cradle. Check the complete schedule in
this week's Indy. COME...support yourselves and your friends.

www.indymusicawards.com