ch-scene - Re: 23 Acts, 4 Stages = Sat Nite in Carrboro

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mark Simonsen <fracas66 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 23 Acts, 4 Stages = Sat Nite in Carrboro
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:46:49 -0700 (PDT)

It is exactly this kind of petty comment that makes the Chapel Hill
music scene seem so exclusive and cliquish. Why is it that every time people
in this community try to get together to do something GOOD, somebody has to
come along and completely trash it and the people who worked so hard to put
it together?
I have watched Catherine Kerr work tirelessly to promote our music
scene- much moreso than any other individual that I know (she is responsible
for curating the displays of local rock memoribilia throughout Carrboro). I
cannot sit back and have my friends be so thoughtlessly criticized when they
are generously and voluntarily contributing something GOOD to our community.
Cat does this because she loves music- same reason most of us are on this
list. But instead of sitting in front of a computer screen bitching and
moaning about every shakeup in the local status quo, she is actually out
there doing the shaking.
Sorry Grady (if that is who wrote the post to which I am responding).
What makes picking up the Independent so hard? It's FREE! It's at almost
every club in town. How much easier can it be? Do we really need our inboxes
choked up with the minutae of everyone's schedules?
So the Indy awards are not "Indy" enough for you? Well it's their first
year doing it. Maybe you can get involved next time and make it better.
Your band didn't make it onto the ballot? Maybe you didn't play in front
of the right people. Maybe you didn't do enough leg work (running a band is
hard work and takes a lot of time). Or maybe your band just plain sucks.
It's enough to make a person want to simply bid this listserve a fond
farewell. (By the way- i have never heard your band should you actually have
one so the statement about your band "sucking" is completely hypothetical).
grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
Oh, I get it. Yr high-priced communication-consultant brain says "if I
post the full lineup here, I'll have no reason to tell them to pick up a
copy of the paper."

Tell me, who was the one with the brilliant idea to not print any
biographical information about the nominees until *after* the voting was
over? I'm sure there was some strategic thinking behind that one as
well, but I can't quite suss it out.

Probably the same person who didn't think to post MP3s of the nominated
songs to the website . . . heaven forbid anyone get to hear what they're
voting for.