cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: lucas AT gonze.com, This is "the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:40:23 -0800

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 11:34 -1000, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Victor wrote:
> > Samples and sample packages are the life blood of the music industry.
> > Avoiding them, just on principle seems arbitrarily limiting -- why use
> > electricity when it's possible to make music without it?
>
> Sure. And making sample packages is the kind of grunt work that people
> don't do for free. It's honest labor that you do to make a buck.
>
> Still, I've been avoiding them because that's the kind of nazi I am. It's
> interesting and useful to learn that you and other people who know the
> issues well have already thought about this and decided to do it anyway.
>
> If I did make a package of guitar samples under a free license, would it
> be useful?

I've been pondering this lately...I guess because my own concern is with
Open Clip Art Library (www.openclipart.org) which is converting to
ccHost, and is based upon people submitting clip art images, which in
the image-world is akin to samples.

I would be great to figure out an incentive system for people to create
samples.

Possibly, the next contest should be based upon pulling together
samples...this would lower the threshold for participation, as more
people could contribute smaller fragments and sample packs...

Obviously, this needs more thought, but IMO would be beneficial.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
jon AT creativecommons.org