cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • To: "This is the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: paulosacramento AT gmail.com, webmaster-mixter AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:22:20 -0800

Jon Phillips wrote:
On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:39 +0000, paulosacramento AT gmail.com wrote:

ive used lots of sony samples to create my music. so id like to know if i can
upload their loops.

More than likely no.

You need to check the the license on the samples to see if it is
compatible with the Creative Commons licenses.

Email the list what type of license these samples are governed under.

If the samples are public domain, which I highly doubt, then using these
samples would be ok.

However, the best is to report back here with the type of license they
use, and then we can assess if these samples will work.

actually you CAN use the Sony ACID royalty-free loops -- I went around with Mia on this and she checked out the Sony loops license.

It's fine, most music on ccMixter uses some for of this. Without the ability to use royalty-free loops the idea of using CC on music falls aparts and disables about 90% of all music in the world.

VS