cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • Cc: "This is \\the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org.\\" <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:53:38 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Victor wrote:

Also, there might not be enough raw data, meaning samples, tags, and
backlinks. Having numbers on the order of 50,000 rather than 500 might be a prerequisite.

There's barely enough ratings on *remixes* to pull that off, leave alone samples. (I've had in the back burner to go back to having ratings and reviews on the same screen -- making either optional this time)

What if we fiddle with the process in a way that auto-generates rating data for samples? Let's say that samples which required attribution specified that it should be provided by linking to a particular URL with a particular microformat, like:

That's terrible code, but hopefully enough to show what it would look like.

What this would accomplish is that any act of sampling would always come with a machine-readable notice that could be used for collaborative filtering.

Hm. I'll bet there's already something like this in place over on freesound... If the data is there then the only piece left is an aggregator.

I've also thought about having a "most remixed" sort but when it comes to samples, you kind of *don't* want to re-use the same thing everyone else has already used.

True, but I think there's a middle ground.

-L